BusinessLocal News

Martyrs’ Day Celebrations Postponed Over Ebola Fears as WHO Declares Global Emergency

Martyrs’ Day Celebrations Postponed Over Ebola Fears as WHO Declares Global Emergency

President Yoweri Museveni has announced the postponement of the 2026 Uganda Martyrs’ Day celebrations, citing growing public health concerns following an escalating Ebola outbreak in the region.
In a statement released on Sunday evening, the President said the decision was reached after consultations with the National Epidemic Response Task Force and religious leaders.

The annual celebrations, held every June 3 at the Namugongo Martyrs Shrine, attract millions of pilgrims from Uganda and neighboring countries. Authorities have now confirmed that the event will be held at a later date yet to be announced.
“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak,” President Museveni stated. “To safeguard lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed.”
The announcement comes after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the current Bundibugyo Ebola virus outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
As of May 17, 2026, the outbreak had reportedly claimed at least 80 lives, with more than 240 suspected cases recorded in Ituri Province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Uganda’s Ministry of Health has also confirmed two Ebola cases in Kampala involving travelers from the DRC. One of the patients died on May 14.
President Museveni urged pilgrims who had already begun their journey to Namugongo to return home and follow health guidelines.
“I encourage those who had begun their journey to return home, continue observing precautionary measures, and report anyone who is sick,” he said, adding that “the protection of life must come first.”

Uganda Martyrs’ Day remains one of the country’s most significant religious events, commemorating the faith and sacrifice of the Uganda Martyrs. However, this is not the first time the celebrations have faced disruption due to a public health emergency.
In 2020 and 2021, commemorations were scaled down and largely held virtually because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Policy 
Close
Close
Close
-->